We invite you (Competition
The Comenius School Project Mathematics
In Our Life - an international graphics
competition for pupils from Poland, Portugal, Czech, Romania
and Slovenia, organised by the Coordinating Team from Gimnazjum
School no. 23 in Bydgoszcz.
Pupils of primary schools and gimnazjum schools are invited
to take part.
The detailed aims and rules of the competition are attached.
We are counting on the support of teachers to spread the idea
of the competition.
We reserve the right to present completed works as well as
to publish the results in the press and internet.
School Project Coordinator
A graphics competition under
the patronage of:
The Kujawsko-Pomorski Teacher Education Center and
the Head Teacher of Gimnazjum School no. 23 in Bydgoszcz.
1. Familiarising pupils with the various possibilities of
mosaic making using polygons and designing one of the following
four types of mosaic:
- regular (or Platonic) mosaic - made using one kind of regular
- semi-regular (or Archimedean) mosaic - made from various
regular polygons, but in such a way that all peaks look identical;
- regular-sided polygon (or Johnson) mosaic, in which all
polygons are regular but the peaks are not identical;
- Escher style, filling the surface with any kind of equal
2. Developing skills for using computer graphics programs
and pupils artistic abilities.
3. Showing pupils practical applications of mathematics.
4. Awakening creative thinking and interest in pupils.
1. Each pupil is to complete independently the mosaic work
by any of the following techniques:
- a computer graphic in JPG format, or
- artistic work (by oil painting, crayon, pastels or pencil
in A4 format).
2. A teacher can send a maximum of 5 works from their school:
- by email using the form
that can be found at http://www.gimnr23.webpark.pl
- by traditional post (name and surname of the participant,
age, name of school and town should be written on the reverse
side of the work)
and sent to
Gimnazjum nr 23
ul. Czackiego 8
Poland (clearly marked Mosaic Making).
3. The deadline for sending in work expires on 15 March 2005.
4. The competition panel will evaluate pupils works in two
- IV - VI class of primary school,
- I - III class of gimnazjum school.
5. In each age group, pupils work will be evaluated in two
- computer graphics,
- artistic work.
6. Evaluation will be based on the originality of the composition
and use of colour.
7. The results of the competition will be posted on 15 April
2005 at http://www.gimnr23.webpark.pl.
8. Competition winners will receive diplomas as well as non-monetary
gifts, and teachers will receive thanks.
"This project has been realized with financial
support of the European Community as part of the Socrates-Comenius
program. The contents of the project or materials do not reflect
the views of the European Commission or the National Agency
in the given matter, and with regard to this, neither the
European Commission nor the National Agency bear any responsibility